News Update :

Mourinho keen to remain at Real Madrid: If the club want me, I will stay

Save on Delicious

Jose Mourinho claims he will stay at Real Madrid - providing the Spanish side wish him to remain at the club next season.

Jose Mourinho

Mourinho led Madrid to victory in the Clasico against Barcelona on Saturday to close in on the Liga title, but saw their Champions League hopes dashed as they went out on penalties to Bayern Munich at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday.

But after that disappointment, the Portuguese boosted fans of the Spanish side with a positive message on Wednesday.

"I will continue if the club thinks that I can still give something and if the players think so as well. – and I know that the club have faith in me, and I think the players do so as well. I feel like the empathy is increasing," he told reporters after the game.

"If I have anything in my mind, it is to try to win with these players. Winning the Copa del Rey last year was important and if we win the league this year that will be important too. Two [Champions League] semi-finals is also not bad but we want more.

"My feeling is that we still have the ability to grow as a team and the club has room to grow too. Clubs have to adapt to the evolution of time and to changing mentalities. A fantastic car in the 1980s is not fantastic in the 1990s or the 2000s."

The 49-year-old also claimed winning La Liga would represent a successful season for his side.

"We need six more points and there are four more games left to do it," he explained. "We are ahead on our own and we have earned that. If we win the championship, it will have been a good season."

He also added that he was proud of his players following their semi-final exit on penalties.

"It hurts me because they have worked so hard to get here," he continued. "The players should go home tonight, kiss their wives and their children and hold their heads up high."

Madrid resume La Liga action on Sunday when they host Sevilla.
Share this Article on :
 
© Copyright Football & Soccer News, Scores & Results - Football Encyclopedia 2010 -2011 | All rights reserved.
The information contained in Footballopedia may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Footballopedia.